Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Coolest Kids in Town

Today is World Teacher's Day, so I thought it might be fitting to post about the 'Teaching'' part of my life. 

I call my students my kids.  They are not actually my kids, of course.  If that is too confusing for you, don't worry about reading on.  Also, I am not referring to any particular schools, students or class groups-  just in general.  Are we all cool with that? Good. Let's do this!

I'd like to share one of my 'passions' with you.  It's my job.  Yep, I'm one of the lucky ones who really does love my job, and let me tell you why. 

 I get to teach the coolest kids in town.  

My kids are inspirational.  They are completely hilarious.  They are quirky.  They are affectionate, in their own little ways.  They bring out the best in me.  They are challenging - but they are all the more awesome because of it.  

My kids face and overcome challenges every single day.  And I don't mean tying shoe-laces and memorising multiplication tables.  I'm talking about challenges like knowing exactly what you want to say, and not being able to say it.  Like looking people in the eye and saying 'hello' when you'd probably rather shoot yourself in the foot.  Like sitting still at a table and completing a puzzle when you'd rather be spinning on a merry-go-round at a million miles an hour, with no clothes on and squealing so loudly they can hear you in the next suburb.  Like taking a bite of cheese when you have had so many tubes and medical equipment come towards your face that you are too terrified to eat.  Like enduring hours of physical therapy to learn to make your legs walk while the other kids are out jumping on the trampoline.  Like wondering why all those silly people don't understand that saying "Thomas the Tank Engine has run out of coal" over and over actually translates to, "Oh for goodness sake, I'm starving hungry, is it lunch time yet?"  And that's just scraping the surface.  But they do it, day after day.  And I love them for it, I really do.

It is so rewarding to get to be able to help my kids along the way.  I feel like it is a privilege to be trusted to teach, care for and have responsibility for these amazing children.  Because my students are all so very diverse and have such different needs, I get to plan my sessions around their individual needs, strengths and interests.  I really enjoy having to 'think outside of the square'.  There is no such thing as 'normal' in my classroom.  And you never can predict what sort of day it's going to be.  Expect the Unexpected has become my un-official motto.  That's probably why my job is still so attractive to me.  I'm never bored. It's never mundane.  I'm constantly kept on my toes.  Don't get me wrong, some days are incredibly difficult; exhausting, frustrating even.  But then I think about the kids and how much of their lives are difficult, exhausting and frustrating.  And I really can't complain.  Well they don't, so why should I?

I love that my kids don't fuss about silly things.  I don't have to listen to annoying whining about slightly grazed knees and so-and-so who didn't want to hold what-his-name's hand.  My kids- they get on with it.  They are determined.  They tell it like it is.  They don't care if their friend is in a wheelchair, or talks a little funny, or has to sit in the exact same spot, on the exact same chair, with the lunchbox and drink bottle lined up in the exact same way every single time they eat lunch.  Yes, sometimes they dont like to share their train engines, or disagree on whether a toy dinosaur is a Bactrosaurus or a Gilmoreosaurus.  But they don't judge.  We can learn a lot from these guys. 

I have so many funny stories to tell.  Oh my goodness. I could write a book about all the hilarious phrases kids have come out with, the strange situations I have found myself in, and all the things I never imagined I would see, hear and do as a teacher.  
Here's one for you.  Little Boy was misbehaving.  Teacher Aide asked Little Boy to sit down and complete a task.  Little Boy (an angelic-looking, tiny, sprout of a 4 year-old) looks Teacher Aide (a big, broad, crew-cut, tattooed, grown-man) dead in the eye and says, 'Not today...Princess.' 
Tell me how anyone is supposed to keep from smiling.  

The families of these cool kids are also incredibly inspirational.  I will always remember the words of an amazing mother who came in late one day announcing the arrival of 'Winnie the Pooh'.  Her child had woken up early that morning and decided to spread the contents of her nappy and a jar of honey all over the kitchen.  When I asked the mum how she could walk in smiling after such a morning, she said to me, 'Well Caitlin, you either bend or you break.  I've just had to learn to become very flexible.' I will never forget that.  

There are days when things like paper-work, class-sizes, lack of funding etc get me down,  but it doesn't take much to remember that I'm in it for the kids, and that I'm so blessed to have found my passion, to have a job, and to have job in the exact area that I wanted.  

Gosh, I could go on and on.  But I won't, I'd be here all day.  Now you know a little about why I am passionate about teaching, and hanging out with the coolest kids in town.  

Try not to be too jealous.  

No comments:

Post a Comment